Monday, March 12, 2007

New Hobby on the Horizon


Since my duck hunting has been pretty much a flop over the last couple of years, it is time to research a new outdoor hobby. I have been bitten by the hunting bug again and have been chomping at the bit to get back into the woods. It appears that spring is here and I must admit that there a few things prettier in the woods this time of year than a gobbler in full strut. Although I have never chased one of these birds, their reputation precedes them as being being very wary adversaries given their keen senses. Nicholas is responsible for my newfound interest in trying to claim what Benjamin Franklin suggested to be our national bird. I have yet to invest in an owl call and a good slate call to get started. The mouth calls are just too tricky and since I am a newlywed, I don't exactly feel that my wife will want me to practice yelping all over the house. We'll just have to see whether or not I actually pursue this new venture, but I have tons of friends who swear by it. Who knows, maybe if I get good at it I can get Ava to get up at 4:00 in the morning and dress in full Mossy Oak, including facemask and snakeproof boots. Well, at least there's always wishful thinking.....

No comments: